Our curriculum aims to seek to reinforce that of the Greenwood Academies Trust in ensuring that all pupils leave a GAT academy with the academic qualifications and wider skills, characteristics and experiences, which will assist them to lead successful and happy lives.
Our curriculum Principles:
Our curriculum is engineered to ensure pupils are equipped with the knowledge, experiences and skills to succeed in life and progress onto meaningful employment with training or further and higher education.
To achieve this our curriculum is designed to be:
- Broad, ambitious and grounded in the national curriculum – so that all groups of pupils have access to an academic programme of study where challenge, achievement and progress are expected for all.
- Knowledge rich – so that all pupils acquire the core knowledge to which they are entitled and the powerful knowledge they need to expand beyond their own experiences.
- Intelligently planned – sequenced to incrementally build long-term knowledge and develop cross-curricula schema, using a spiral approach to delivery.
- Culturally rich – broadening horizons and exposing pupils to the vast wealth of experiences in the wider global society be that the arts, music, sport and extra-curricular pursuits.
- Reading focussed – Promoting a love of reading for pleasure and as a vehicle to access the full curriculum.
- Context-specific – so that pupils who are not yet secondary ready, or not yet confident in Numeracy and Literacy can rapidly catch up and access the full curriculum, stay safe in the local community and those with limited opportunities to explore the world beyond Houghton Regis can broaden their horizons.
- Values-driven – to develop principled and honest young people who respect others in all their diversity and aspire to achieve excellence in all areas of academy life.
- Underpinned by rules - Respect, Responsibility and Safety
Our academy values are:
Honesty, Respect and Aspirational.