All pupils at the Houghton Regis Academy have access to a broad and balanced curriculum. The Academy has a comprehensive intake, taking pupils of all abilities.
We set our groups by ability. We believe this gives pupils the best experience, working at the pace necessary to give them the highest possible standard of education. It also allows us to challenge and support appropriately.
In Years 7-9 most pupils will study English, mathematics, science, geography, history, RE, modern foreign languages, ICT, technology (including food), expressive arts (music, drama), art and PE.
The key features of our curriculum include:
- A broad and balanced curriculum with an emphasis on teaching traditional subjects to a very high standard
- Accelerated learning to ensure the most able pupils are challenged to achieve the highest of standards.
- High quality Special Needs support for those who need additional help with their learning.
- A major focus on English and Mathematics at Key Stage 2 to ensure pupils are ready for the demands of the secondary curriculum
- Access to a wide range of cultural, sporting and outdoor pursuits activities.
- Literacy across the curriculum is a key strength. All teaching staff are trained in the use of VCOP to support writing and trained in the use of strategies to promote reading and foster a love of reading for pleasure